During the coronavirus pandemic, DBSA Westchester NY will be holding online meetings instead of in-person meetings. See our Announcements page for updates. We thank DBSA Hartford in Connecticut for allowing our group to make use of their videoconferencing tool.
You may connect to a meeting by telephone (audio only), by smartphone or tablet, or by a laptop or desktop computer. If you are connecting with a device that supports video, you may choose to enable or disable your device’s camera.
Choose the link below corresponding to the type of device you will use to connect to meetings.
Out of respect for everyone’s privacy, please try to find a private space from which to attend the meetings. If you enable your device’s camera, try to avoid letting non-members in your meeting space see the meeting video. You should not record any part of the meeting in either audio or video, or any other participant’s personal information (phone number, email address, etc.); doing so would be a gross violation of our group’s guidelines.
Amazon’s Chime web site does not seem to say whether they collect personally identifiable information (PII) from meeting participants. Please use your own judgment in deciding whether to join our online meetings. If you phone in, your phone number will be visible to other participants who connect online. If you use the Amazon Chime app on a smartphone or tablet to connect and if you linked the app to your Amazon Chime account (if you have one), your email address will be visible to other participants who connect online, though you have the ability to disable the display of your email address.
Online meeting guidelines
In addition to our Guidelines for in-person meetings, please follow the protocol below during online meetings.
- Please use a private room for the call if possible.
- Please turn off background sounds (radio, television, etc.) and mute yourself unless you wish to speak. For those who connected online, note that there is a mute button near the top of the Amazon Chime screen.
- If you dial in by phone and you use your speaker phone, be sure to mute your phone to prevent feedback that will make it difficult for people to hear what’s being said. If you wish to unmute your phone to speak, first turn off the speaker phone.
- If you wish to speak you can wait for a pause, unmute yourself, and say “[My name] would like to speak.” Those using video can also raise or wave their hand or type “I would like to speak” in the Chat box (the moderator will see your screen name). Please say if you want to start a new topic. The moderator will keep track of who has asked to speak. Please wait to be called on. If you think you were inadvertently overlooked, try again.
- Do not record or write down anyone else’s personal information (phone number, email, etc.).
- If you are on video, please remember that others in the group can see you. Be respectful of others in how you dress and behave during the meetings.